Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. II Timothy 2:19
Floors are an important part of our homes. We try to keep them clean and uncluttered. When we have a spill, we clean it up immediately because we know if we don’t it will be much harder later on. We could say the floor is the foundation of our home. We stand firm upon it.
Looking at our spiritual life, there are beliefs and standards that are the very basis of our faith in God. We will consider some, examine them and make sure they are still strong and secure:
- The Cross – Jesus’ death on the cross purchased our salvation. His precious blood cleanses us from all sin.
- The Resurrection – Jesus rose from the dead and because of that we have hope that we will live again.
- The Comforter- When Jesus ascended into heaven, He did not leave us alone, His Holy Spirit dwells within our hearts, giving us power to live above sin.
- Eternal Life – promised to those who will accept Jesus and obey His Word.
- Second Coming of Jesus – this is a promise He gave and one we can fully rely on. He is coming back to take His people to be with Him.
- Responsibility to witness – Jesus has loved us beyond what we deserve, and so we share that love with others.
- Holiness – keeping our temples clean and holy, clothed in His righteousness.
These are important beliefs upon which our faith is built. With all that is going on in our world, we may find ourselves questioning. The enemy would like to tell us that these things no longer matter, but Jesus has not changed, and the Word of God has not changed. We must keep the foundation strong, or our house will not stand.
“And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:” Ephesians 2:20-21
“For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.” I Corinthians 3:11
Prayer: Thank you Lord Jesus for the foundation of our faith. Help us not to waver but to stand firm on what we have believed.