“Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation.” Psalm 68:19
Our Bible reading this month is taking us through the life of David as recorded in the Second Samuel and First Chronicles. Interspersed with the chapters from these two books have been many of the Psalms that David wrote about the different incidents in his life. Many of these Psalms express David’s praise for what the Lord has done for him.
This month marked a milestone in my life, as I celebrate five years cancer free. As I look back, I praise the Lord for His blessings on me. What a miracle it was that the cancer was discovered while it was still small, and I was able to have surgery immediately, The Lord was with me every step of the way and I am so thankful for that.
So many times, the Lord does great things for us, and we rejoice at the time, but often when something else comes up in our lives, we forget all that the Lord has done before. Even though David went through a lot of difficult circumstances, he never forgot to give God praise and glory.
Psalm 103 David lists a lot of benefits that the Lord had blessed him with:
- Verse 3 “Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; “
- Verse 4 “Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;”
- Verse 5 “Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s.”
- Verse 6 “The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed.”
- Verse 8 “The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy.”
- Verse 10 “He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.
- Verse 13 “Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him.”
In Psalm 116:12, David asked himself a question: “What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?” He realized that the Lord deserved praise and glory.
We so often take the blessings of the Lord for granted. Today, let’s spend some time looking back over our lives and considering all the benefits that the Lord has bestowed upon us, and thank Him for them.
Prayer: Lord Jesus, we are so thankful for all you do for us, for the salvation you have provided, and for the way you hear and answer our prayers. Truly we have been blessed and we praise you for all the benefits that you have given us.
Devotion by Anne Johnston