“Pray without ceasing.” I Thessalonians 5:17
“Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.” John 16:24
Impossible, you say. How can we constantly be in prayer? My Devotional book this morning used these scriptures. The writer was talking about making Jesus central in our consciousness by praying continually – short prayers flowing out of the present moment. As I meditated on it, I felt the Lord gave me these thoughts – no matter what we are doing in our daily routines, we can be practising the presence of the Lord.
Maybe that will look something like this:
• Making your bed – Praise the Lord for the rest He has given you through the night. Pray for someone you know who is sick or facing some problems and maybe didn’t get a good sleep last night.
• Preparing a meal – Thank the Lord for the food in your cupboard and refrigerator and that you had money to pay for your groceries. Pray for families in your community who may not have enough to eat.
• Washing your dishes – Thank the Lord for the way He has blessed you. Pray for the homeless in your community and ask the Lord to show you ways you can help.
• Doing laundry – Thank the Lord for the clothes you have in your closet and dresser. Pray for immigrant families in your community and for people in other countries who may not have the clothes they need.
• Driving to Church – Praise God for the vehicle he has given you and for the money to buy gas and keep it in good repair. Pray for the people in other countries who walk miles to get to church and anywhere else they need to go.
• Hearing a Siren – Praise God for your health and strength. Pray for whoever is in need because of that siren, and for someone you know who is sick.
• Enjoying Family Time – Thank God for your family and friends. Pray for the Missionaries who leave family and friends to take the Gospel to those who have not heard.
These are just a few examples of how we can keep in constant prayer. Jesus told His disciples that if they asked anything in His Name, they would receive. These simple prayers lifted to the Lord as we go about our daily life, can accomplish great things. We may never know the results, but we will have the joy of knowing we are practising the presence of God every moment of the day.
Prayer: Jesus thank you for your presence in our lives every moment of the day. Be the centre of our lives and help us to keep in an attitude of prayer.
Devotion by Anne Johnston