“Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.” I Peter 3:6
Daughters of Sarah, we have come to the end of the week. I hope that you have enjoyed reading the entries for the last few days as much as I have enjoyed writing them. We have looked at the life of a great lady in the Word of God and examined some of her thoughts and feelings. There are still depths that we did not get into but hopefully, we have learned something that will be a blessing to us.
There is one more episode that we haven’t covered. Although she is not mentioned at the time when God tested Abraham by asking him to sacrifice Isaac, she must have known it was happening. How great her faith must have been as she saw them set out on their journey, not knowing how it would turn out. I am sure that she had to really trust that somehow, God would protect the child of promise.
Just to recap, here are some of lessons we can learn from Sarah:
- God always keeps His promises.
- With God, nothing is impossible.
- God’s timing is different than ours, but always perfect.
- Patience can be a virtue.
- All of us make mistakes, but God forgives and doesn’t hold it against us.
- We all must be submissive to someone.
- God’s delays are not denials.
- It isn’t always easy to follow God, but it is always worth it.
- Faith will always see us through.
- God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.
I have so much enjoyed digging into this story of Sarah, reading Scripture, and doing some research. In a way, I am sorry to see it end.
If you who are reading this, found it interesting, please comment as to whether we should do this with some other women in the Bible.
Prayer: Thank you, Jesus, that you have recorded Sarah’s story in the Bible record, so that we could learn from her experiences. Help us to do our best to be worthy daughters of Sarah.
Devotion by Anne Johnston