“But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31.
Wait. That is not a word that we usually like to hear. When we want something, we want it now. In this new normal that we are experiencing, we have lots of time on our hands. I am thankful that I have things to keep me busy and so the days go by quickly. One thing that I really am missing is going out for my own groceries. It is hard to make a list for someone else when we are used to choosing what we want.
As I read this scripture in Isaiah this morning, I realized that in this time of social distancing we have been given lots of time to spend in the presence of the Lord. Think of the blessings He has promised if we wait on Him.
• Renewed strength – Each morning I give myself a little pep talk and ask the Lord for the strength I need for the day. Our attitude when we get up in the morning will set the pace for the day.
• Rise above our circumstances – It would be so easy to get depressed and feel sorry for ourselves because we cannot get out and be with other people. But when we realize that everyone is facing the same thing, we feel the Lord surrounding us, and His presence brings peace.
• Rest – When the loneliness, and the lack of social interaction becomes too much, we go to the Lord in prayer and praise, and read His Word, and the Holy Spirit gives us the rest we need.
• Hope – This time will pass, and we will come out victorious. Lamentations 3:24-26 – “The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore, will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.”
• Joy – Psalms 16:11 “Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Could it be that the Lord has allowed this interruption in our lives, so that He could teach us to wait on Him?
Prayer: Lord Jesus, we thank you for your promise that if we will wait on you, you will bless us in so many ways. Help us to wait on you.
Devotion by Anne Johnston