“Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.” I Corinthians 4:2
- Ruth – we all know her story and how she was willing to leave behind everything that she knew and journey to another country. She left her family, her gods, and her culture. Because of this she is included in the lineage of Jesus.
- Hannah – the greatest thing that she desired in life was to have a child. Because of the promise she had made to God, she was willing to give this child up and send him to serve with Eli, the priest in the tabernacle. God blessed her obedience and gave her more children. He also used Samuel in a wonderful way, guiding the children of Israel through a difficult period in their lives.
- Widow – mentioned in I Kings 17. Her cupboard was bare, she had only enough meal and oil to make a little cake for her and her son. But Elijah happened by as she was gathering sticks for a fire and required her to make him a cake first. This must not have been an easy decision, but because she obeyed, the meal and the oil kept multiplying, supplying them all with daily food.
- Mary – Mark 14 records this beautiful story of her coming into the presence of Jesus bearing an alabaster box containing precious ointment. Alabaster resembled white marble, and the perfume was carefully sealed to preserve it. Its cost would amount to about fifty dollars and would represent the work of three hundred days. Her most valued possession and yet she was willing to break it and anoint the Lord. Because of her dedication, the Lord said her story would live for eternity.
- Mary, the mother of Jesus – God required the ultimate sacrifice from Mary. No doubt her decision to be used of the Lord, cost her far more than we can imagine. Shame and condemnation were her lot, and yet she was willing to say “yes” to the Lord.
In al of these instances, along with many others in the Bible, when God required something special of a person, He always provided the strength they needed. Though they didn’t understand why at the time, He was working all things according to His purpose.
Prayer: Jesus, we thank you for the examples you have given us in your word of those from whom you required much, and how you blessed them for it. Help us as your daughters to be willing to do whatever you require of us.
Devotion by Anne Johnston