“I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.” John 10:14
David in Psalm 23 gives us a beautiful picture of the Lord as our shepherd and what this means to us. What perks do we enjoy by being one of His sheep?
- Verse 1 “I shall not want.” He supplies our every need.
- Verse 2a “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. “He daily provides sustenance for each and every day, both physical and spiritual.
- Verse 2b “He leadeth me beside the still waters.” Through the storms of life, He makes a way, giving me peace as I face whatever life brings.
- Verse 3a “He restoreth my soul.” Daily communication with Him gives me strength and life.
- Verse 3b “He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.” He gives me instructions through His Word so that I can live a life that is a light to others.
- Verse 4 “ Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.” He is my shield and defender, protecting me from dangers I don’t even see and providing comfort when I need it.
- Verse 5a “Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:” No weapon that is formed against me may prosper.
- Verse 5b “Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.” His Holy Spirit sustains me each day, giving me joys I cannot comprehend.
- Verse 6 “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.” Above all the blessings that He provides each day, He has given me the hope of eternal life with Him.
Jesus, I am so thankful that I know you as I AM – the Good Shepherd and that I may enjoy all these blessings that you provide for your sheep.
Devotion by Anne Johnston