“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hebrews 11:1
The Amplified Bible reads as follows: “ Now faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things [we] hope for, being the proof of things [we] do not see and the conviction of their reality –faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses.”
Amid all that is taking place in our world today, our faith in the Lord is what keeps us going on. We cannot see Him with our natural eyes. We cannot touch the loving arms that surround us. We cannot hear His audible voice telling us to not be afraid. We cannot smell the sweet fragrance of His Spirit and we cannot taste the Words of Life that He offers.
Because all our natural senses fail in this regard, we may feel that our union with the Lord is invisible, but if we open our eyes, we will experience Him everywhere.
- We see Him in the sunrise each morning and the sunset at night. We see Him in a baby’s smile, or in the eyes of a loved one.
- We feel those everlasting arms holding us close in times of sorrow, discouragement, or loneliness.
- We hear His still small voice whispering in our ear, telling us that He loves us and that we can trust Him in every circumstance.
- We smell the sweet fragrance of His Spirit as we worship Him and when we talk to Him in prayer.
- We taste the good things He has given us when we read His Word and we are satisfied.
Through faith we believed and knew that our sins were forgiven. Through faith we believe that the Lord is with us every moment of every day. Through faith we have hope of spending eternity in Heaven with the Lord Jesus Christ.
Hold fast to your faith. “Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)” Hebrews 10:23.
Prayer: Lord, the more aware we become of your presence, the safer we feel. You are closer than the world that we can see, hear, feel, and touch. Thank you for being with us every moment of every day.
Devotion by Anne Johnston