“I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.” Psalm 40:1.
The Psalmist David learned that the secret of getting an answer from the Lord was to wait patiently for Him and not to quit crying out to Him. The NLT version expresses David’s trust in God.
• Verse 2 – “He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.”
• Verse 3 – “He has given me a new song to sing. a hymn of praise to our God.”
• Verse 4 – “Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord.”
• Verse 5 – “You have no equal.”
• Verse 6 – “Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand”
• Verse 8 – “I take joy in doing your will.”
He finished off the Psalm with these words, “As for me since I am poor and needy, let the Lord keep me in his thoughts. You are my helper and my saviour, O my God, do not delay.” Verse 17 NLT
How many times do we go to the Lord in prayer for a situation or a need, and expect an answer immediately? We must learn just as David did, that God hears our prayer the first time, but He knows what is best for us and so we must patiently wait for the answer to come. Sometimes we give up just before things are about to happen. We just need to keep trusting, waiting on the Lord, singing songs of praise to Him, knowing that He will be right on time with the answer we need.
Prayer: Lord Jesus you know that waiting is hard for us, we want answers right away. Help us to remember that you have heard our cry and that in your good time, the answer will come.
Devotion by Anne Johnston