“The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.” Psalm 37:23-24.
In this verse, David is talking about a good man and how the Lord feels about him. What are the criteria for being considered good by God? If we look at some of the other verses in this Psalm, we see some attributes mentioned.
• Verse 3 “Trust in the LORD.”
• Verse 4 “Delight thyself also in the LORD.”
• Verse 5 “Commit thy way unto the LORD.”
• Verse 7 “Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for him.”
• Verse 7 “Fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way.”
• Verse 8 “Cease from anger and forsake wrath.”
• Verse 30 “The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom.”
• Verse 31 “The law of his God is in his heart.”
We could never make ourselves good, it is only as we yield our hearts to the Lord, and endeavour to walk in the path He has chosen for us, that we are able to develop the traits that God desires in our lives. There are times we will fail but Verse 24 tells us that the Lord will be there to pick us up and set our feet back on the right path. What a blessing to know that His everlasting arms are under us every step of the way.
Prayer: Thank you Lord for your promise that you will never leave us nor forsake us, and that in your sight we are considered “good” as we daily strive to be more like you.
Devotion by Anne Johnston