“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light” I Peter 2:9
Recently on social media, I connected with a group from a town I lived in when I was a child. Looking at pictures and reading posts has brought back a lot of memories. It was while we were living there that my Dad experienced salvation and as a result, our family came to know the Lord. I often ask the question: “Why out of all the families in that village did the Lord choose ours?”
I do not know the answer to that question. But I am so thankful that we were chosen. As I look back over my life, I often wonder where I would be and how I would be living if the Lord had not sent someone to witness to my Dad and cause him to turn his life around. Because I came to the Lord as a child, I never got involved in a lot of sinful things, and thus do not have to live with a lot of regrets. I know there have been times when I did not walk as close to the Lord as I should have but His mercy and love have kept me through the years.
This is how God sees us:
- A chosen generation. I Peter 1:2 “Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ.”
- A royal priesthood. Revelations 1:6 “And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever.”
- An holy nation. II Timothy 1:9 “Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.”
- A peculiar people. Titus 2:14 “Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.”
- Why? To praise Him. Colossians 1:13 “Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son.”
He has done so much for us, and all He desires is that we give Him the praise and worship due Him.
Prayer: Thank you, Lord Jesus, for your mercy and your love and for choosing us to become your children. We praise You for Who you are and for all the blessings that You bestow upon us.
Devotion by Anne Johnston