Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvation! Selah. (Psalm 68:19, NKJV)
Sometimes a single word in a verse of scripture speaks to us. Today that word for me was daily. I felt God’s nudge reminding me of the many ordinary blessings He provides for me every day. It’s easy to take them for granted, even though I try to make a conscious effort to thank Him for the “ordinary.”
- When I turn on the faucet, I think of the millions who have no access to safe water.
- When I look around my comfortable home, I remember those with minimal or no shelter.
- When I turn the key to start my car, I realize this is a luxury some will never know.
- When I open my pantry door with its shelves of food, I think of those suffering hunger.
These are material things, but God’s benefits include so much more. He provides mercy. He forgives our sins. He heals us, protects us, and showers us with His love. These are not “once in a while” blessings; the Lord provides them to us daily.
I live a very blessed life. You do also. But it’s easy to overlook the ordinary, the everyday benefits God places in our lives. Our focus gets skewed. Instead of thankfulness for all the things we have, we fret about things we don’t have but wish we did. If we always long for more, perhaps we are overlooking the many blessings God gives us every day. I cannot take His goodness for granted. Otherwise, I’d be like a spoiled, pouting child, always demanding but never appreciative. He blesses me daily, and I will thank Him daily.
We are living in unusual times. Daily routines are disrupted, and we feel apprehensive about what tomorrow may bring. But let’s focus on today. What is God doing in my life today? What blessings has He provided today? More importantly, what blessings have I thanked Him for today?
As you go about your daily routines today, making the following verses a prayer of thanksgiving to a generous, loving God.
- “And God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work” (II Corinthians 9:8, CSB).
- “Blessed is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavens in Christ” (Ephesians 1:3, CSB).
- “I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds.” (Psalm 9:1, NKJV)
- “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies” (Psalm 103:2-4, NKJV)
Lord, I thank You today and every day for the abundance of blessings You place in my life. Help me to never take for granted the good things You shower upon me.
Comments are closed.