Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8, NKJV)
It happened again just a few minutes ago. I heard a commentator on the radio state we are living in “uncertain times.” Over and over that phrase has been repeated to us in recent weeks. I’ve even said it myself. And it’s true. We don’t know all the future hold. It seems things are shifting and changing almost minute by minute. But then I realized two things.
First, life has always had its uncertainties.
Second, there are certainties—absolutes—I can count on.
The choice is mine. I can face life fearful of every shift in circumstances. Or, I can build my life on the absolutes that will never change. Here are just a few of my certainties. You may wish to join me by making your own list?
- I am certain God loves me and nothing will separate me from that love (Romans 8:38-39).
- I am certain God has redeemed me by His blood and has forgiven my sins (Ephesians 1:7-8).
- I am certain God will supply my every need (Philippians 4:19).
- I am certain God will give me peace in all life’s circumstances (John 14:27).
- I am certain God goes with me as I face tests and trials (Isaiah 43:2).
- I am certain God will never leave me or forsake me (Deuteronomy 31:6).
- I am certain God has the power to fulfill every promise He has made (Romans 4:21).
- I am certain God will answer my prayers (John 14:13-14).
- I am certain God has wonderful plans for my life (Jeremiah 29:11).
- I am certain God has a crown of righteousness awaiting me (II Timothy 4:7-8).
Yes, we are living in a different world today than we did just a few months ago. But I do not need to fret and worry. Although my circumstances may be different, my God has not changed—and never will. He is the same today as He was yesterday. Tomorrow He will be no different. All my certainties are found in Him. He is still able to supply my needs, heal my body, refresh my soul, and give a peace better than anything the world can offer.
The next time you hear someone say we are living in uncertain times, do not allow fear enter your mind. Remember, you have a loving God that will never break a promise. He stands with you regardless of the times in which we live. And that’s a certainty!
I will not break my covenant or go back on what I promised. (Psalm 89:34, NET)