“For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.” Matthew 16:27
There is nothing that we can do to earn salvation. We are saved by grace. But the Bible plainly teaches us that good works will be the result of our faith and that the Lord will reward us for them. There are many scriptures that refer to rewards as crowns:
- An Incorruptible Crown promised to those who run the race of life faithfully I Corinthians 9:25
- Paul speaks of the saints at Philippi as being his joy and crown. Philippians 4:1
- Paul says his crown of rejoicing will be a result of the people of Thessalonica being ready to meet the Lord. I Thessalonians 2:19
- Paul spoke of the crown of righteousness which was waiting for him because of his faithfulness. II Timothy 4:8
- James talks about the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who endure temptation. James 1:12
- Peter writes of the crown of glory reserved for the faithful shepherds. I Peter 5:4
- The crown of life will be given to those who have endured persecution. Revelation 2:10
Rev 4:10-11 “The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.”
Rodney Griffin wrote a beautiful song a few years ago describing what might be a scene in heaven. I have met him and believe that he has a great love for the Lord. His songs are mostly inspired by scripture and are a blessing to many people. Here’s the link to “A Pile of Crowns.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r0qDCX5TTg
We do not know if this is what will happen. But it is easy to believe that when we gaze upon the Lord Jesus Christ, everything else will be forgotten. We will bow before our Redeemer and Saviour, worshipping Him and giving Him the glory and honour only He deserves. And we will cast our crowns at His feet.
Prayer: Jesus, you have given us some glimpses into what heaven will be like, but our finite minds cannot grasp the beauty and the wonder that you have prepared for us. Draw us close to You today and help us to live each day anticipating your return.
Devotion by Anne Johnston